At a meeting of Recognised Fishing Industry Associations held in Cape Town on Tuesday the 14th of June, 2011, the motivation for establishing an overarching Association to be known as FishSA, was discussed. It was unanimously agreed that a core Association would be able to most effectively liaise with and assist various institutions, including the Branch Fisheries, the South African Maritime Safety Authority and the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications, in addressing matters of common interest to the commercial fishing industry.
The establishment of FishSA will not erode the status of the existing Recognised Fishing Industry Associations, who will continue to represent and participate fully in matters particular and pertinent to their specific industry sectors. Tim Reddell was unanimously elected Chair, as was Suleiman Salie as Vice-Chair. Messrs. Richard Ball, Mike Copeland, Craig Bacon and Andrew Kaye, were elected to serve on the Management Committee of FishSA. Roy Bross was appointed as Secretary.
The following Registered Industrial Bodies subscribed to and are the Founder Members of FishSA:
- South African Deep-Sea Trawl Industry Association
- South African Pelagic Fishing Industry Association
- South East Coast Inshore Fishing Association
- South Coast Rock Lobster Industry Association
- West Coast Rock Lobster Industry Association
- South African Midwater Trawling Association
- South African Tuna Association
- South African Squid Management Industrial Associatio
The following associations were also admitted as members:
- Fresh Tuna Exporters Association
- The Patagonian Toothfish Industry Association
- South African Hake Longline Association
FishSA has adopted the following as its logo: