The global TAC determination has been set at 1924.08 tons, which is the same as the 2015/2016 season.
The 2016/2017 apportionment of TAC has been undertake in slightly different manner than previously with a separate allocation apportioned for small-scale lobster fishers in the Northern Cape. The apportionment of TAC is as follows:
- Commercial Trap Boat sector: 1204.48 tons (previously 1243.48 tons);
- Small-scale hoop net sector: 376.10 tons (previously 376.10 tons);
- Small-scale (Interim Relief Measure) sector: 235.30 tons (previously 235.30 tons);
- Small-scale Northern Cape sector: 39 tons;
- Recreational Fishing : 69.20 tons (previously 69.20 tons).
In addition to the setting of catch limits, the fishery will also be subjected to effort limitations restricting the time periods for catching lobsters in specific fishing zones.
These effort restrictions are detailed here.