The Fisheries Department has announced the new recreational lobster fishing season which will commence on 15 November 2011. The season will close on the 15th of January 2012. Thereafter, the season will open again from the 6th of April 2012 and close on the 9th of April 2012.
The following conditions for the WCRL recreational fishing season will apply:
- From the 15th of November 2011 to the 15th of January 2012, fishing will be allowed every day;
- From the 6th of April 2012 to the 9th of April 2012 fishing will also be allowed every day;
- Recreational permit-holders collecting and landing WCRL may do so only between 08h00 – 16h00. The rock lobsters must be landed by 16:00;
- The bag limit has been set at four per-person-per-day and the size restriction is 80mm carapace length. Any WCRL caught, collected or transported must be kept in a whole state;
- A maximum of 20 rock lobsters may be transported per day, on condition that all the persons who caught such rock lobster are present. Such persons should also be in possession of their recreational rock lobster permits;
- The sale of recreationally harvested lobsters is prohibited.
Permits are obtainable from the Post Office. Permits will only be issued to persons above the age of 12 years.